To mark International Men’s Day, the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) launched Torch Songs, a new campaign that celebrates the power of music to lift us out of life’s low points.
BBC Radio 1’s Huw Stephens will champion the campaign, which brings together top artists and music lovers to share the songs they turn to when things get tough.
Stephens said: “Music is a constant, a saviour in the world which is unique to everyone. We all know how much music means to us, and can help us sometimes. The artists involved, sharing their unique cover versions of their personal Torch Songs, are magnificent. The songs strike the right note; give you hope; remind you of the possibilities; remind you you’re not alone. We launch Torch Songs with some spectacular talents sharing their intimate Torch Songs with us – it’s a great way to get people talking about talking.”
The first official Torch Songs, launched to coincide with International Men’s Day, will include exclusive, unexpected covers from artists including Years & Years, The Vaccines, Frank Turner, Twin Atlantic, and Blaenavon.
The songs go to radio and will become available on Spotify, iTunes, and YouTube. The campaign is expected to continue into 2017 as more artists release their Torch Songs. As each song launches they can be heard with unique Torch Songs visuals at www.torchsongs.co.uk and will build into an enlightening Spotify playlist.
You don’t have to be a musician to get involved — fans are encouraged to spread awareness by sharing their own Torch Songs online with the hashtag #whatsyourtorchsong.
James Scroggs, CALM’s Chair and creator of Torch Songs, said: “It’s normal for all of us to encounter tough times. We also know music is a universally powerful tool to lift the spirits. So we hope Torch Songs provides the inspiration men need to find a way through.”
- All official Torch Songs available on streaming platforms and www.torchsongs.co.uk
- Music lovers can share their own Torch Song online using the hashtag #whatsyourtorchsong
- Launch artists include: Years & Years, The Vaccines, Frank Turner and Blaenavon
- Upcoming artists to release their Torch Songs include: Twin Atlantic, Lower Than Atlantis, Neil Cowley Trio, SATELLITES, Her Name is Calla, Tom the Lion, Deadwall, Post War Glamour Girls
Founded in 2006, the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an award-winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide. For more information visit thecalmzone.net.
- In 2015, 75% of all suicides in the UK were male (NISRA, GRO, ONS 2015)
- Suicide is the single biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK (NISRA, GRO, ONS 2015)
- CALM’s helpline & webchat are open daily 5pm-midnight thecalmzone.net/get-help
- CALM is a charity registered in England and Wales (1110621) and in Scotland (SC044347)